The Kershaw Sub-Frame Lock is our patented variation on the traditional frame lock that lets us make a slimmer knife while providing a strong, secure lock. In this lock, a piece of the lighter weight frame is machined out and a piece of steel is riveted into its place. This piece of steel acts just like a standard frame lock. When the blade is open, it moves into position behind the blade tang, locking it open.
To unlock a Sub-Frame Lock:
- Hold the knife handle in one hand.
- Turn the knife so that you can see the interior of the handle.
- On the left side of the handle you will see part of the frame is positioned behind the blade. This is the lock.
- With your thumb, press the lock to the left so that it is no longer blocking the blade.
- With your other hand, hold the back of the blade (away from the edge) and begin to guide the blade back into the handle.
- Move your thumb out of the way as you finish guiding the blade back into the handle.
The Sub-Frame Lock is covered under US Patent 9,120,234.